If you’ve had to Google Krabi, then you’re sure that this is one of the cooler yet not overwhelmed by tourists place that you’d love going to. Krabi is a charming place in Thailand full of white sandy beaches, vibrant limestone islands in the middle of the bluest seas. Whether it’s a solo travel or whether you’re Googling for a romantic getaway / honeymoon, you will be tempted by destinations like Bali, Phuket. Packages will pop up on Google searches with prices for Bali 17k onwards, Phuket 22k onwards. And the actual cost if you add up the travel, visa, hotel stay and everything will definitely not be a budget one. For my honeymoon, I decided a place – Krabi, and thereby took further planning and booking in my hands.
Krabi isn’t Bangkok, so the experience you will have here will be much more exotic and tranquil than Bangkok. A perfect honeymoon destination to this virgin island which is quite unexplored by many (specially Indians). Not many Bollywood songs have been shot in Krabi, but one song typically shows the mesmerizing beauty and turquoise water beaches of Krabi.
Heeriye Song – From Pyaar ka Punchnama 2 was shot entirely in Krabi .
Krabi, a beautiful paradise on the south-western coast of Thailand, not as well-known as compared to Phuket, is renowned for its majestic angular limestone karsts jutting from the mangroves forest. Many people are attracted to Krabi for the beauty of the archipelago facing the Andaman Sea with more than 130 islands. Archipelagos in Krabi have white sandy beaches, blue greenish clear sea, and corals.
Deciding the Air Travel and Visa
Krabi allows you a choice of two options – visa on arrival or prior travel visa. Although, many would prefer Visa on Arrival, I would still recommend getting the Visa done prior to your travel so that you are not stuck in the long queues and paperwork hassles once you land at Krabi Airport. Fees are usually 2000 INR / 1000 Thai Baht per person and sometimes they discount it up to 1000 INR / 500 Thai Baht per person.
There are no direct flights to Krabi. There is a stopover at Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi International Airport). Take the one with shortest stop-over time at Bangkok so that you reach your destination at the earliest. The entire journey would be of approximately 10 – 12 hours including your stop-over time. Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways are the options to choose from. You can get return fares for as low as 22k INR per person, considering there will be 4 flight journeys – Mumbai – Bangkok – Krabi and vice versa.
Location and Hotel options
Ao Nang is the perfect place to stay and search for hotels in Krabi. It is a small beach town which houses the finest resorts, budget hotels, bars, restaurants and hostels. It is an ideal place to stay, so as to explore the rest of Krabi; be it nearby beaches, islands, markets, sightseeing locations or even the airport.
One tip for finding accommodation options in Krabi. Search for various hotel / resort options in Krabi via Makemytrip, choose from various room options on different properties and before finalizing one, do check out the hotel’s official website for actual room photos and offers. Usually the hotel sites have better options and deals. For Honeymoon goers, I would suggest looking for room at property / hotel nearby to the beach because a beach view from the room will make you feel the beauty of Krabi and make the trip worthwhile.
Few facilities to consider when deciding a hotel:
- 2-way airport transfers (so that you do not need to worry for travel arrangement)
- A good swimming pool preferably Infinity pool (with a view)
- One buffet meal included apart from the free Breakfast. (so that you get to try a good spread of local & international cuisine)
- If you decide to book via the hotel’s website, while making the booking mention to them your purpose (in case of Honeymoon). Good hotels usually make necessary arrangements for their international guests basis the occasion for a romantic and warm welcome like a free bottle of champagne, decoration, chocolates, etc.
Sightseeing and Nearby attractions
You do not need to worry about booking, sightseeing in advance. You should decide it once you reach Krabi and there are lot of small shops in Krabi which provide you the catalogue of tourist attractions nearby and let you book the same as well.
Must visit places and things to do:
- Hot Spring Waterfall (Do not miss this at all)
- Emerald Pool• Elephant Trekking
- 4 Island Tour
- Cabaret Show (The authentic & famous Ladyboy of Thailand / Bangkok. It is available traditional bar areas in Ao Nang. It is not advertised much. Do ask the local sightseeing arrangement outlets and they will help you with the booking)
- Night Market – Available on weekends only (Do not miss this. You will get to try authentic street food here with street and souvenir shopping for your loved ones back home)
- Go by the famous long tail boats (the one which are used in many posters promoting Krabi) to the nearby islands/ beaches from Ao Nanag – Railey, Phra Nang beaches. They usually cost around 100 Thai Baht per person and can be booked from the pier.
- The traditional Thai Massage. Compare rates between few outlets and make sure you get one.
- Coconut Ice-cream
Rest sightseeing options will be many ranging from temple and cave walks to, Kayaking, ATV etc. Try them as per your taste and convenience.
If you are looking for some adult fun, the place where cabaret show is held, the entire place has many bars with some attractive female staff. The same place houses a lot of strip clubs. You will be greeted with their sales people distributing their pamphlets for Happy Hours. On your way escalating to 2nd floor for the cabaret show, do make sure to look around and be greeted by sexy girls (this is what they claim. Genuine girls! Which is their USP considering you are in a Bangkok/ Thailand province) with stocking and appealing clothes, few pole dancing to attract visitors.
One tip: If you decide to visit one in the happy hours package, make sure you tip any of your favorite pole dancers with some Thai Baht (you can get creative about how you want to give it 😛 ) Honeymoon couples… At your own risk or after necessary approvals from your partners only 😊
Make sure you roam and explore more. Walks around the sea shore and long walks around your hotel property are a good idea. This way you will get to explore many shops for street shopping and for booking sightseeing, which then you can compare later at your room. When you make sightseeing bookings, do request for lunch to be included in your tour and they will be more than happy to add the same to your booking.
There are many local joints to relish on the local Thai cuisine. Then there are traditional outlets like Mc Donalds, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. If you are a non-veg lover, do try dishes from these outlets because they taste very different from the ones in India as these joints alter their menu and taste for their Indian menus.
There are these outlets named “Seven Eleven” which are opened 24 hours. There’s loads to try out like:
- Local Flavored Lays – Shrimp, Squid etc.
- Ready to cook / heat food to have at your room. They will heat it in the microwave for you to eat sometime later once you are done with the payment.
- Lot of finger-food pick for to go along with a movie marathon on your laptop.
- Alcohol and pre-mix alcohol options. Yes even I was shocked you can buy them at such stores and the varieties they have are just WOW! Many of them are not available in India. Make sure you try the local whisky / Rum – Sangsom. Believe me, this pre-mix alcohol and snacks are a great aphrodisiac!
If a romantic getaway is on your mind, Krabi will not disappoint you. If you have any queries and need more information drop a message in the comments below and I will revert.