Bollywood actress Sonali Bendre recently revealed a shocking news that she has been diagnosed with Metastatic cancer. There are different types of cancer with different symptoms and different effects on the body.
Let us understand what exactly metastatic cancer is:
The reason why cancer is such a deadly disease is its ability to spread in the body. A cancer cell can spread by moving into nearby normal tissues. When cancer cells break away from the primary spot where they were formed and spread to other parts through lymph system blood, it is known as metastatic cancer. The cancer cells form tumors in other parts of the body, which are known as metastatic tumors. However, both the primary and metastatic cancer are same in nature.
For many types of cancer, it is also called stage IV (four) cancer. The process by which cancer cells spread to other parts of the body is called metastasis.
As metastatic cancer is like the primary form of cancer, so, for example, if breast cancer spreads to lungs, it will be called metastatic breast cancer, not lung cancer. The treatment for metastatic cancer would be like that of stage IV breast cancer.
Because the cancers may be similar in nature, doctors can often fail to locate the primary spot of cancer. Such a diagnosis is known as cancer of unknown primary origin or CUP.
Cancer cells spread through the body in steps. Here are the steps:
- Growing into, or invading, nearby normal tissue.
- Moving through the walls of nearby lymph nodes or blood vessels.
- Traveling through the lymphatic system and bloodstream to other parts of the body.
- Stopping in small blood vessels at a distant location, invading the blood vessel walls, and moving into the surrounding tissue.
- Growing in this tissue until a tiny tumor form.
- Causing new blood vessels to grow, which creates a blood supply that allows the tumor to continue growing.
Symptoms of Metastatic Cancer:
- Pain and fractures, when cancer has spread to the bone.
- A headache, seizures, or dizziness, when cancer has spread to the brain.
- Shortness of breath, when cancer has spread to the lung.
- Jaundice or swelling in the belly, when cancer has spread to the liver.
|Cancer Type||Main Sites of Metastasis|
|Bladder||Bone, liver, lung|
|Breast||Bone, brain, liver, lung|
|Colon||Liver, lung, peritoneum|
|Kidney||Adrenal gland, bone, brain, liver, lung|
|Lung||Adrenal gland, bone, brain, liver, lung|
|Melanoma||Bone, brain, liver, lung, skin, muscle|
|Ovary||Liver, lung, peritoneum|
|Pancreas||Liver, lung, peritoneum|
|Prostate||Adrenal gland, bone, liver, lung|
|Rectal||Liver, lung, peritoneum|
|Stomach||Liver, lung, peritoneum|
|Thyroid||Bone, liver, lung|
|Uterus||Bone, liver, lung, peritoneum, vagina|
Treatment for Metastatic Cancer:
Once cancer spreads, it can be hard to control. Although some types of metastatic cancer can be cured with current treatments, most cannot. Even so, there are treatments for all patients with metastatic cancer. The goal of these treatments is to stop or slow the growth of cancer or to relieve symptoms caused by it. In some cases, treatments for metastatic cancer may help prolong life.
Many Bollywood celebrities in past have fought and overcame serious cancer.
Right now, team Dopewope wishes Sonali a speedy recovery and a lot of strength.