The Queen of Bollywood, Rani Mukherji, turns 40 today. She has ruled Bollywood for a little over two decades now and still doesn’t fail to amaze us with her bold and beautiful performances. She has been my favourite since her 2002 hit, Saathiya, but her roles in Mehendi, Ghulam, Badal and other movies before that were unique too. Here are the things you didn’t know about her life. Let us enlighten you.
1. She is a trained Odissi Dancer.
She pursued her passion for this art for a whopping 10 years! Watch her performance here.
(Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEKo9rN6yFw )
2. Rani did a cameo in her Father’s Bengali film Biyer Phool
She was only 14 when she was cast. *I think she still looks 14, TBH*
3. Rani was invited to the dinner in Honour of Pakistan’s former President Pervez Musharraf.
She was the only member from the Indian Film Industry. *Musharraf Sahab does look smitten by this brown-eyed beauty.*
4. She won the Filmfare for the best actress and the best supporting actress in the same year
2005 saw her winning these two awards for Hum Tum and Yuva, respectively. She is the only actress to have bagged both.
5. Two of her movies were nominated for the Oscars!
Hey Ram! (2000) and Paheli (2005) almost won the Academy Awards.
6. Rani has never endorsed a fairness cream
As per the media, Rani is one who broke the “Fairness Myth”
7. She featured in the Filmfare Power List in 2005
…and she was the only woman on it, that year.
8. A dubbing artist dubbed her dialogues in Ghulam
Because Bhatt sahab didn’t like her husky voice.
9. She was NOT the first choice to play the role of Tina in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
The role was written for Twinkle Khanna but as she refused, Shahrukh Khan and Aditya Chopra suggested Karan Johar cast Rani instead.
10. Rani rejected many roles which would cast her in epic movies…
Like: The Namesake (Hollywood), Dil Se, Lagaan and Munnabhai MBBS.
However, she has done so much for the Indian Film Industry by giving such unique performances that India will forever be under the cinematic debt of her immense talent.
Here’s wishing the Bong beauty, and the Queen of our hearts, a very Happy Birthday!